TRL 104: How to Build a Million Dollar Business with Your Significant Other with Tom & Anna from Adventure in You
I have a really fun interview for you today because the other day I had the chance to sit down in person with my friends Tom and Anna and talk about a bit of a touchy subject, and that is what it’s like running a business with your significant other.
Tom and Anna are the founders of Adventure in You one of the most popular travel blogs in the world (and if that name sounds familiar it’s because Tom has been on the podcast back in December of 2020.
Anyways, this episode was very interesting for me because in entrepreneurship circles starting a business with your spouse is not super uncommon, but also because if you were to speak with a mentor and propose it as an idea they would most likely respond with “are you sure you want to do this?”
So, I sat down with Tom and Anna because I wanted to hear what their thoughts on this were. Why did they start a business together instead of doing working on different projects, how has the experience been for them, and what are some of the benefits they’ve experienced. Tom and Anna also shared their tips for any couples that may not necessarily be working together on the same business, but are experiencing working together from the same place for the first time due to COVID, a topic that Sarah and I actually also talked about back in March of 2020 in episode 49 so if you’re interested in also hearing our tips on this topic check that episode out as well.
What You’ll Learn
- What is Adventure In You?
- How Brexit affected British travelers
- Why Tom and Anna decided to relocate to Merida, Mexico.
- Why did they decide to start a business together rather than separately?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of running a business as a couple?
- How to define your roles and responsibilities
- How has working together in a business impacted their relationship?
- How spending time apart can be beneficial when previously spending a lot of time together.
- Tips for couples to keep the relationship thriving and not letting work get between you.
- Why self-awareness and communication are essential in working together.
- What would Tom and Anna do differently if they had the opportunity to start the business again?
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
💬 Leave a comment below
📣 Share this episode on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram with your thoughts and tag it with #thatremotelife
To help out the show:
🌟 Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews help tremendously and I read each one
🤘 Subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts or wherever you normally listen to podcasts.